Dale Chihuly was born in Tacoma Washington, in 1941. He graduated in 1965 from the University of Washington where he first was introduced to glass while studying interior design.He received his M.S. in sculpture in 1967 from the University of Wisconsin, where he studied glassblowing with Harvey Littleton. In 1969 he established the Glass Department at the Rhode Island School of Design, where he taught until 1983.
In 1983 Chihuly returned to his native Pacific Northwest where he continued to develop his own work at the Pilchuck Glass School, which he had helped to found in 1971. Throughout the 1970’s , influenced by the great glassblowing tradition of Murano, Chihuly experimented with the team approach to glassblowing. Working with a team of master glassblowers and assistants has enabled him to produce architectural glass art of a scale and quantity unimaginable working alone or with only one assistant.